Tchefuncta Club Estates was established in 1956 by a group of professional men and women originally seeking a place for weekend homes and campsites. Pooling together their funds they purchased a tract of land on the Tchefuncte River known as "Emfred", belonging to the Suter family from Bogalusa. There was such enthusiasm for developing the land as full-time home sites that the weekend concept was set aside and Tchefuncta Club Estates was born.
The founding families of Tchefuncta Club Estates understood the recreational potential in the natural beauty offered by their surroundings, and Tchefuncta Country Club opened in 1961. In 1969, the course expanded from nine to the current 18 holes. Tchefuncta Country Club is the only private member-owned club in the area and has more than 400 members.